November 22, 2010

new cardigan from an old sweater - with tutorial

I must apologize for my late lack of sewing related posts. But last month, after more than one year into my new life in America, my status changed back into a working member of the society :)I got a job. And hand in hand with that came the constant struggle for free time. If only I could trade in the one hour commute with one hour in front of my sewing machine…I hope to find soon a routine that will include back my hobby.

Embellish Knit Month” @ Grosgrain inspired me to transform one of my sweaters into a cardigan. It was in fact an old sweater from Dan’s closet, which he stopped wearing but which I couldn't find the heart to toss because it was still in a good shape. It had an outdated pattern but it was still good to wear.

The makeover gave it a new, fresh and more feminine look.




I measured the middle of the sweater and cut from waist to neckline.
I cut off the ribbing at the bottom.

I cut off half of the sleeves.
I double folded the raw edges of the sleeves and bottom and stitched them.
I stitched the raw edge of the new opening with a zig-zag stitch, folded it and stitched it.
I created the buttonholes and sewed on the buttons.


9 comments:

  1. Esti fantastica atunci cand te apuci sa creezi Stefi! mi-ai dat o idee geaniala. O sa imi transform si eu niste vechi pullovere in cardigan :) O zi frumoasa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bineineteles ca e fantastica! :) Cine ar mai avea asa idei si sa le puna in practica cum o face Stefi?
    E foarte fainuta ideea ta, draga Stefi! Arata tare bine noul cardigan! Si iti sta minunat!

    Pupi imbratisaciosi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Te quedó de lo más bonita.
    Besos desde el Badulake

    ReplyDelete
  4. maaaai iar te-ai tuns! :D imi place :D

    si daca nu ai ce face cand 'comuti', poti sa te apuci de impletit :P macar poti sa iei ustensilele cu tine

    pupici

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    I completely understand the lack of time! Best of luck to your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new cardigan! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugly pullover...Great cardigan. Fantastic idea. I hate throwing out perfectly good clothes too. I think I'm goin' to have to use this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Felicitari, imi place ce-a iesit!
    Sarbatori cu bine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow- definitely will be looking out for some naf male jumpers- only to turn them into one of these lovely cardigans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails