June 25, 2010

sophisticated simplicity in a skirt


You don't always need a difficult pattern to sew a sophisticated skirt. Add some elements like pleats and bows to a simple A line skirt pattern and you'll get a fun and sassy garment which is so easy to make.



Ingredients:
- two colorful fabrics
- one zipper
- one button
Instructions:
1.Create an A line skirt pattern or use one that you already have to cut the fabric. Don't forget to add some extra inches for the pleats on both the front and the back of the skirt. I added 6" to the front and 6" to the back (3" for each pleat).2. Mark the "center" of all 4 pleats. Let's name the center A. Calculate 1.50" on the right and mark point B. Calculate 1.50" on the left and mark point C.3. Fold the fabric to bring point B and C together and draw a line as long as the desired length of the pleat.4. Sew along the drawn line.5. Press the pleats flat and baste them in place across the upper edge.
6. Stitch the front of the skirt to the back at the side seams, right sides together. Leave the left side free for the zipper.
7. Use the bottom 2 inches of your skirt pattern to cut a band from the other fabric. Make a narrow hem at the bottom of the band.8. Stitch the band to the skirt bottom with right sides together. Iron them open.9. Install the zipper on the left side of the skirt.
10. Measure you waistline and cut the waistband. Stitch it to upper edge of the skirt.
11. Make the bows by cutting two strips of fabric. Fold each bow in half lengthwise. Turn the raw edges into the middle and press. Stitch along the edge. 12.Stitch each bow above a front pleat.For more about this skirt, you can also read my previous post.

4 comments:

  1. you certainly made look like it is easy, but I'm not confindent enough to try. I'll get there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is fantastic! I just clicked over from Craft Gossip and I'm so glad I did. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @papgena - I have an easy tutorial in the pipeline - I'll have it ready after I come back from vacation
    @rachel - any time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, so I cant seem to find a pattern for the A line skirt anywhere, I was wondering if you could direct me to one or if you could send me the one that you used.
    Also, this tutorial is great and I love the apple patterned material that you used:3
    Thanks!
    -Waloo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails