Whenever my husband decides to toss one of his shirts, it's recycle time for me ;) As usually I go for something easy to sew and chic to wear.This time not only I transformed his old shirt into a garment for me but I also came up with two extra accessory pieces made from the same fabric. ( a necklace and a cuff bracelet)Here are the ingredients for all three projects
- one man's shirt
- bias tape
- a 2 yard ribbon
-5-6 bottle tops
- tulle flower for the necklace (optional)1. cut off the sleeves and collar and remove the front pocket.
2. adjust the armholes, if necessary, and the neckline. I went for a square look.3. sew bias tape along the armholes and the neckline and replace the buttons.The shirt is done. We can go on with the necklace now.
1. cut off the cuffs from both sleeves.
2. cut two strips from the sleeves wide enough to squeeze in the bottle tops3. sew the strips together to form one big strip
4. sew the strip closed, lengthwise, on the wrong side, to form a tube5. turn the tube right side out6. make little rings of bias tape, sew them on the wrong side and turn them right-side out. If you have 5 bottle tops, make 6 rings.7. squeeze the tube through a ring, using a safety pin, introduce a bottle top inside the tube. repeat these steps till you finish all the bottle tops and bias tape rings.8. tuck one end of the tube inside the other end and sew them togetherThe necklace is done! Let's move on to the third and last element of the project: the cuff bracelet. This is also the easiest out of the three. All you have to do is:
1. sew bias tape along the edges
2. replace the button
Done! Wasn't it easy to sew? And isn't it chic to wear? I told you so;)