May 25, 2010

make your own hat - refashion project with tutorial

I came to realize that I have no hat in my closet and because a lady should have one :) I decided to give it a try and make my own. It's time to replace my ordinary cap wearing with a more feminine look: a sun hat.I refashioned mine from an old pillowcase but you can use any fabric, it only takes less than a yard. And you'll also need less than a yard of interfacing.Start out by measuring your head size and replicate it on the fabric. To create a perfect circle divide the circumference of your head to 3.14 and then again to 2 to get the radius of the circle. Then mark the center of the circle on your fabric and with a ruler draw the circle.
Think how big you want the brim to be and draw another circle around the first one.Third piece of fabric you will need is a strip of the same length as the circumference of your head.
Have the set of three pieces (2 circles and the strip) cut twice from the fabric and once from the interfacing.Sew the edges of the strip together to form a crown. You'll have 3 crowns: 2 of fabrics and one of interfacing.
Sew together the outer fabric brim and the interfacing brim. Do the same with the outer fabric crown and the interfacing crown. Then sew the two sets together on the wrong side. It's not an easy stitch, I must say but be brave :)
Sew together the inner fabric brim and the inner fabric crown on the wrong side.
Place the two brims with the attached crowns one inside the other and sew them together along the edges.Sew the round sandwich together (fabric, interfacing, fabric) and then attach it to the crown on the wrong side. This isn't an easy stitch either but it's the last of the kind.
Add a bias tape on the edge of the brim.

Hats haven't always been a fashion element, they started by being a status symbol, displaying wealth, nationality, political beliefs, religion or occupation. In ancient Greece and Rome a hat was the right of free citizens but not of slaves. In Renaissance Italy each leading family had its own distinctive style of hat with its own color and design as a visible reminder of its power, patronage and politics. The Church in the Middle Ages required married women to cover their hair in public with hoods or veils.The history of hats has always been entwined with the history of hairstyle. When, after 1660, the hairstyle became increasingly elaborate with many curls, it triggered the decline of hat wearing.Hollywood had a great influence on the style of hats. Bonnie and Clyde reintroduced the berets, The Great Gatsby made the beaded caps popular and Annie Hall brought with it the fashion for women wearing large men's hats pulled down low over their forehead. It became apparent that a man's hat made a woman look frail and sexy. (source "The Hat Book" by J. Bawden)

8 comments:

  1. I like it a lot!!!
    I've awarded you a blog award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up, ok?
    http://papgenamadeit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really cool! I just clicked over from Craft Gossip. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ahead Rachel. I'm happy you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. You are so talented!!

    Welcome to the USA.

    Have a God Filled Day
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great project. I think there's a lot of fun in making your own hats...hopefully my sewing skills are sufficient. Your instructions were great, and the pictures were very helpful. Nice job all the way around.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were to make another hat I would cut the brims a little curved so that their stitching to the crown is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you tell me about that inner layer, what it is? :x I don`t understand this too well and I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Looks fun! Love IT Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails